New MEMS White Paper

Download the latest Logitech white paper and learn more about MEMS processing technology and techniques

Download our CMP White Paper

FREE subscription
Subscribe for free to receive each issue of Semiconductor Today magazine and weekly news brief.





















12 March 2007


Rofin-Sinar acquires 80% of m2k-laser

Rofin-Sinar Laser GmbH of Hamburg, Germany, which makes solid-state lasers, CO2 lasers and diode lasers, has acquired 80% of the common stock of high-power laser diode maker m2k-laser GmbH, which was spun off in 2001 from the Fraunhofer Institute of Applied Solid-State Physics (IAF) in Freiburg. The remaining 20% is still held by the Munich-based German applied research organization Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft and two former founders. Co-founder Dr Marc Kelemen will be managing director for operations.

Rofin-Sinar Laser is a subsidiary of Rofin-Sinar Technologies Inc (RSTI), based in Hamburg and Plymouth, MI, USA, which manufactures laser beam sources and laser-based solutions for industrial applications such as laser cutting, welding and marking as well as specialist uses such as medical applications. Annual turnover is $420m. RSTI also owns subsidiaries DILAS Diodenlaser GmbH of Mainz, Germany.

m2k-laser develops and manufactures lasers based on gallium arsenide (emitting at wavelengths of 760-1083nm) and gallium antimonide (emitting at 1.9-2.5µm), mainly for scientific applications (such as trace gas sensing and spectroscopy, medical diagnostics, and optical pumping of mid-infrared solid-state lasers). The main products are tapered diode lasers (e.g. for external cavity applications) and tapered amplifiers. Under two separate additional agreements, the firm will pay for access to certain know-how and for the use of the existing infrastructure of Fraunhofer IAF.

“We see this acquisition as an opportunity to strengthen our technology base and our market position in the component sector,” says RSTI’s CEO and president Gunther Braun. “m2k will continue to operate as a stand-alone company and will also continue to provide their products to other laser companies.”

“This acquisition proves that IAF’s research results are attractive in terms of industrial usage,” comments IAF’s director, professor Günter Weimann. Kelemen adds: “Being part of a larger company opens up new resources to enhance the development of cutting-edge technology in our field”.

Visit Rofin:

Visit M2K: