FREE subscription
Subscribe for free to receive each issue of Semiconductor Today magazine and weekly news brief.


















28 November 2006


Global Solar to expand CIGS PV production

To increase production capacity from 2MW to at least 40MW by the beginning of 2008, Global Solar Energy Inc of Tucson, AZ, USA, which makes copper indium gallium diselenide (CIGS) thin-film solar cells for portable solar
panels, is to spend $75m over the next 18 months renovating a building near the University of Arizona Science and Technology Park and hiring another 50 staff.

Global Solar was founded in 1996 as a subsidiary of UniSource Energy Corp of Phoenix, AZ, which sold it in April this year for $16m. A German venture capital investor now owns 81% of the company and the remaining 19% is owned by photovoltaic module manufacturer Solon AG of Berlin, Germany. An existing expansion already includes a second facility in Germany.