13 February 2020
Transphorm showcasing market adoption of high-voltage GaN power at APEC
In booth #1514 at the Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC 2020) in New Orleans (15-19 March), Transphorm Inc of Goleta, near Santa Barbara, CA, USA — which designs and manufactures JEDEC- and AEC-Q101-qualified 650V and 900V gallium nitride (GaN) field-effect transistors (FETs) — is showcasing end products from more than five markets that leverage the inherent benefits offered by its GaN, including increased power density and power efficiency as well as lower overall system costs — often achieved within the same or better thermal performance range than comparative silicon-based products, it is claimed.
The customers behind the end products are using Transphorm’s GaN in a wide variety of power ranges. Information gathered from their design experiences — coupled with the company’s technological vision - has led to Transphorm’s latest innovation, the Gen IV GaN platform.
APEC attendees can get the first look at Transphorm’s new GaN devices for the power electronics market, as well as new design tools and resources for simplifying GaN power system development.
Transphorm says that its market traction to date is driven by its focus on four key areas:
- Reliability: First JEDEC- and AEC-qualified GaN power FETs that also offer less than four defective parts per million (DPPM) based on more than 5 billion field hours.
- Designability: GaN offered in standard device packages that use well-known design-in and thermal management techniques.
- Drivability: GaN FETs that require minimal external circuitry and drive like silicon.
- Reproducibility: GaN manufacturing process that offers silicon-like fab yields capable of high-volume scalability.
Transphorm’s team members will address these four key areas as they present six related topics during APEC’s educational, industry and technical sessions:
- Full Technology Validation of 600V+ GaN Power Devices — from Device Structure, Performance and Reliability, to Application Economics, User Satisfaction and ppm Field Failure Rate.
- Advances Through Innovation: Transphorm Changes the Game with Gen-IV 650V GaN Platform.
- Portable Power for the People: Inergy Realizes its Vision with Transphorm GaN.
- GaN FETs Enable High Frequency Dual Active Bridge Converters for Bi-Directional Battery Chargers.
- Best Practices Using Voltage Acceleration for Reliability Testing of High Voltage GaN.
- No Digital Control Experience Needed: Bridgeless Totem Pole PFC GaN Designs Made Simple
Transphorm GaN-on-Si GaN HEMT Power electronics