7 April 2022
Veeco releases ESG goals for 2022 and beyond
Epitaxial deposition and process equipment maker Veeco Instruments Inc of Plainview, NY, USA has unveiled its Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) goals for 2022 and beyond, showcasing its on-going commitment to corporate social responsibility. Based on feedback received from the company’s stakeholders and results of its 2021 materiality assessment, the goals relate to climate change, product responsibility, diversity and inclusion, and responsible corporate governance.
- source 50% renewable energy for US operations by 2030 (previously disclosed in Veeco’s 2021 Sustainability Report);
- by 2025, reduce normalized emissions from heating and purchased electricity (scope 1 and 2) by 10% in the USA from a 2021 baseline (emissions normalized to CO2e per million dollars in revenue);
- introduce a comprehensive hazardous chemical management program focused on REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals), RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive), and TSCA (the Toxic Substances Control Act), partnering with a global leader to assist in compliance.
- increase the representation of women at Veeco in the USA to 20% by 2025;
- increase the number of women and underrepresented employees at Veeco;
- continue to support diversity in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education through the Veeco STEM Scholarship fund in partnership with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP);
- make a material difference in our local communities through outreach and volunteerism.
- continue to expand and align our ESG disclosures with international frameworks and rating agencies.
“These goals build on the progress Veeco has made since the release of our first Sustainability Report in 2020,” comments CEO Bill Miller. “Our long-term ability to execute on our vision of enabling a future where technology improves the human experience is dependent on our corporate sustainability,” he adds. “We believe these goals demonstrate our commitment to sustainability by addressing the concerns of our stakeholders, improving our culture of inclusion, and minimizing our impact on the environment.”