1 November 2022
Navitas showcases power semis at China power electronics conference
Gallium nitride (GaN) power IC firm Navitas Semiconductor of Torrance, CA, USA is participating in the 2022 China Power Electronics and Energy Conversion Congress & the 25th China Power Supply Society Conference and Exhibition (CPEEC & CPSSC 2022) at the Guangzhou Yuexiu International Conference Center, Guangdong Province (4-7 November).
Hosted by the China Power Supply Society (CPSS), CPSSC promotes academic and technical exchange in power electronics, energy conversion and power technology to promote technical innovation and related industries. With a history of over 40 years, CPSSC is the largest power electronics event in Asia.
Navitas says that gallium nitride (GaN) and silicon carbide (SiC) are rapidly replacing silicon chips, with an aggregate market opportunity estimated at over $22bn per year by 2026. The firm’s GaNFast power ICs integrate GaN power and drive plus protection and control to deliver simple, small, fast and efficient performance. Over 50 million GaNFast ICs have been shipped with zero reported GaN field failures, now with the industry’s first and only 20-year warranty. All of the top-10 mobile phone and laptop companies, including Dell, Lenovo, Samsung, vivo and OPPO, are adopting GaNFast ICs, with 9 out of 10 in mass production, says Navitas. Aftermarket suppliers such as Anker, Belkin, Baseus, Amazon, UGREEN and Spigen have also qualified GaNFast technology.
With GeneSiC technology, Navitas claims to have the broadest portfolio of SiC FETs and diodes (from 650V to 6.5kV) with the industry’s highest efficiency high-temperature, high-speed performance. GeneSiC products address diverse, high-power markets such as electronic vehicle (EV) on-board chargers and traction drive, solar inverters, energy storage and industrial applications, with customers including BYD, AMG Mercedes, LG Magna, Shinry, Jaguar Land Rover, Inovance and SolarEdge.
At CPSSC, Navitas’ product, application and market promotion includes:
- ‘Pure-Play, Next-Generation Power Semiconductors: Electrify Our World’, by Charles (Yingjie) Zha (VP & general manager of Navitas China).
- Industrial Sessions:
- ‘GaNSense Half-Bridge IC and Applications’, by Dong Lin (senior director application engineer);
- ‘GaN Integration Drives Next-Generation Power Systems’, by Tony Liu (senior director IC design);
- ‘GaNFast and GeneSiC: Twin Engines Drive the Future of High-Power Applications’, by Minli Jia (senior staff application engineer).
- Exhibition booth (5-6 November)
- China-debut products include GaNSense half-bridge power ICs and the first Navitas presentation of GeneSiC MOSFETs and diodes.
Navitas says that its three System Design Centers – for mobile, data center, and EV – help customers to maximize GaN and SiC performance advantages, including high-frequency magnetics design, advanced power packaging and modules, plus thermal optimization to create higher-power-density, higher-efficiency and lower-system-cost power electronics systems with high reliability and short time-to-market. Platform hardware reviews include:
- Mobile – ultra-fast charger examples for 0–100% charging in less than 10 minutes, and USB PD 3.1 designs up to 240W, with PCBA power density over 2.7W/cc;
- Data Center – featuring ‘Platinum Plus’ 2.7kW AC-DC designs, with 2x the power density of legacy silicon systems;
- EV – 400V and 800V on-board chargers, including new ‘3-in-1’ bi-directional designs for micro-grid back-up operation.