16 September 2022
Lumentum exhibiting optical communication portfolio at ECOC
In stand #516 as well as OIF partner stand #701 at the European Conference on Optical Communication (ECOC 2022) in Basel, Switzerland (18–22 September), Lumentum Holdings Inc of San Jose, CA, USA (which designs and makes optical and photonic products for optical networks and lasers for industrial and consumer markets) is participating in eco-system partner demonstrations and highlighting its portfolio of optical communication solutions for current and future network applications, as detailed below.
High-speed optical transmission portfolio
Lumentum’s suite of 100-800Gbps optical components provides performance-optimized discrete components, narrow-linewidth lasers, high-baud-rate coherent modulators and receivers, as well as integrated components for QSFP-DD, OSFP, CFP2 and other small-form-factor pluggable coherent transceivers.
- Ultra-narrow-linewidth nano-Integrable Tunable Laser Assembly (nITLA): Lumentum continues to scale production of its nITLA product line, leveraging the advantages of its external-cavity-based laser into a compact form factor critical for coherent modules. The low power consumption, superior phase noise performance, and compact size ensure that the nITLA can support long-reach and higher-baud-rate applications for the next generation of coherent transmission systems.
- Digital coherent optics (DCO) modules: Leveraging its optics and depth of vertical integration, Lumentum delivers DCO modules for customers seeking turnkey solutions that support transmission rates of 100-400Gbps. The firm says that it effectively balances cost, power and performance using open-standard and proprietary forward-error correction (FEC) to support campus, data-center interconnect (DCI), long-haul, and metro-ROADM mesh network applications.
- Tunable transceivers: Lumentum is in the final stages of completing a significant increase in 10G T-SFP+ manufacturing capacity to support the transition of multi-service operators (MSOs) from hybrid fiber coax to distributed access architecture. Upgrading to a single tunable module from fixed modules simplifies service providers' logistical management and reduces overall operational costs. Lumentum’s tunable transceiver portfolio also includes TSFP28 solutions that support 25G data rates for expanded capacity, placing it in a leading position to fulfill market demand for these products in 5G wireless front-haul applications.
400ZR transceivers designed into OIF 400ZR interoperability and Common Management Interface Specification (CMIS) demonstrations
- 400ZR interoperability demo: Lumentum is demonstrating 400ZR transceivers in switch/router ports and test equipment in both QSFP-DD and OSFP form factors, transmitting over an amplified 75GHz-spaced DWDM optical link compliant with the OIF 400ZR Implementation Agreement (IA). The firm’s 400ZR transceivers provide connectivity in DCI and other applications at a data rate of 400Gbps. The electrical, thermal and communications interfaces comply with the OIF 400ZR IA and QSFP-DD/OSFP MSAs and work with the current generation of switches and routers supporting QSFP-DD and OSFP transceivers enabling direct IP over DWDM for customers looking to expand capacity and reach.
- CMIS implementations demo: Additionally, Lumentum 400ZR transceivers will be demonstrating the new benefits of CMIS control through firmware upgrades via common data block commands and coherent diagnostics via the flexible coherent CMIS versatile diagnostic monitoring interface.
Enhanced and expanded telecom transport solutions
- Multiplexers, demultiplexers and multi-cast switches: Lumentum offers a complete line of multiplexer, demultiplexer and multi-cast switch solutions as part of its comprehensive subsystems portfolio.
- High-port-count TrueFlex Twin WSS platform: Lumentum’s Twin WSS platform offers enhanced performance. Advancements to its core technology, manufacturing processes and supply chain robustness drive cost-effective volume production within Lumentum’s manufacturing facilities. The platform delivers a uniformly high standard of performance and supports multiple port configurations. As the platform maintains form-factor compatibility with existing products, customers can rejuvenate and refresh their system’s capabilities over its lifecycle for the decade ahead.
Laser chips for next-generation of mega data centers
Hyperscale data centers continue to scale, driving demand for next-generation speeds. Lumentum offers a range of laser solutions to address data-center networking, artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) cluster networking, and optical I/O needs.
- 200G PAM4 externally modulated lasers (EMLs): By leveraging Lumentum’s EML chips, customers can deliver high-speed modules in high volumes while reducing costs and power per bit. Lumentum’s 200G EMLs are sampling today and are expected to be in volume production by early 2023.
- 100G PAM4 directly modulated lasers (DMLs): Designed for rigorous and cost-effective applications, Lumentum’s DMLs for 2x400G FR4 and 400G DR4/FR4, and 800G DR8/PSM8 improve bandwidth from previous generations. These compact chips enable lower costs and complexity relative to comparable silicon photonics (SiPh)-based transceivers. Beta samples are available now.
- CW lasers: Lumentum is sampling a range of optical power CW lasers to support SiPh-based transceiver applications and external laser sources (ELS) for co-packaged optics (CPO) solutions. Utilizing its indium phosphide (InP) technology platform, Lumentum offers high-volume 40mW CW lasers. Additionally, the firm’s new 75mW laser integrates an on-chip semiconductor optical amplifier, allowing it to cover 2x100G lanes at high temperatures for next-generation data-center applications. With its 350mW ultra-high-power CW lasers, Lumentum is a provider of CPO applications; limited sampling is available now.
- Vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs): Beta samples of Lumentum’s 100G VCSELs are expected to be available in 2023 at 850nm, 880nm, 910nm and 940nm wavelengths and support parallel and shortwave wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) applications, including 64GFC and 128GFC, extended-temperature 50Gbps, and cost-effective active optical cables. For 25G NRZ and 50G PAM4 applications at 850nm wavelength, Lumentum’s VCSELs are available now and shipping in volume with high production capacity to meet strong demand from the cloud market. In addition, Lumentum’s high-bandwidth, wide-wavelength-range indium gallium arsenide (InGaAs) PIN photodiodes for multimode receivers at data rates up to 100Gbps are available today.