2 May 2023
onsemi displaying sustainable power solutions at PCIM Europe
In booth 330 (Hall 9) at the Power, Control and Intelligent Motion (PCIM) Europe 2023 event in Nuremberg, Germany (9–11 May), power semiconductor IC supplier onsemi of Phoenix, AZ, USA is displaying its latest sustainable power-related innovations.
Specifically, onsemi is focusing on three key areas with a total of five demo spaces, a showcase and a dedicated power wall:
- Enabling green energy solutions: The on-site power wall illustrates how households and small- to medium-sized enterprises can build an energy island with onsemi products, highlighting electric vehicle (EV) solutions (high-power DC and AC via on-board charging).
- EliteSiC ecosystem: With the vertically integrated EliteSiC ecosystem, onsemi has full control of its silicon carbide (SiC) manufacturing supply chain, from basic raw materials to the delivery of fully packaged SiC devices, which are critical for efficient EVs and an important step towards decarbonization.
- Driving the industrial revolution: onsemi says that it provides reliable, intelligent and energy-efficient technologies for fully autonomous manufacturing environments, including intelligent sensing for robotics, scanning.
For automotive and industrial systems, onsemi’s power wall is showcasing green energy solutions, highlighting intelligent power solutions from 65W to 11kW and demonstrating its capability to provide full solutions for power supply applications. It is also exhibiting ultra-high-density (UHD) designs for the most critical, high-performance and space-constrained power designs.
In addition, onsemi’s booth has the following interactive demos:
- AC EV charger: Demo highlights how EliteSiC technology can be used to produce a highly efficient charging solution for use from the AC grid.
- 25kW DC charger eval-kit: Demo shows how onsemi’s intelligent power portfolio enables the highest levels of efficiency with onsemi’s EliteSiC technology.
- Bidirectional EV charging: Demo shows how an on-board charger (OBC) can return power to the grid, assisting in stabilizing the grid during times of peak demand.
- FS7 IGBT: Demonstration of the highest-current IGBT (160A/1200V) in a TO247 package currently leading the market, it is claimed.
During the show, onsemi experts are also speaking about several important industry topics, including:
- ‘EV-Traction Inverter Performance Optimization by Planar Technology and Packaging Improvements’ – speaker: Andrea Colognese;
- ‘The Sustainability of the EV-Traction SiC Revolution from a Technology, Manufacturing, Supply Chain and Cost Perspective’ – speaker: Pietro Scalia;
- ‘1200 V SiC Transfer Molded Power Modules for EV-Traction Application’ – speaker: Pietro Scalia;
- ‘Advanced SiC System Level Simulation through the New Online Elite Power Simulator and Self-Service PLECS Model Generator’ – speaker: Didier Balocco;
- Markt+Technik Panel Discussion ‘SiC is sold out for 2023, can GaN help me?’ – onsemi panelist: Enrico Corti;
- Aspencore/Power Electronics Panel Discussion: ‘Reliability and Quality Requirements for SiC and GaN Power Devices’ – onsemi panelist: Jaume Roig Guitart.