1 September 2023
Transphorm highlighting high-voltage SuperGaN solutions for EVs at electronica India
Transphorm Inc of Goleta, near Santa Barbara, CA, USA — which designs and manufactures JEDEC- and AEC-Q101-qualified gallium nitride (GaN) field-effect transistors (FETs) for high-voltage power conversion —says that it is highlighting its technology for next-generation electric vehicle (EV) power systems in booth E2D31 (Hall 2) at the electronica India 2023 event in the Bangalore International Exhibition Centre (13–15 September).
With the global GaN total addressable market (TAM) estimated to be $642m in 2023, the EV mobility/charging market for/in scooters and e-bikes to auto-rickshaws, trucks and cars is recognized as an optimal industry to benefit from the performance, efficiency and price advantages offered by GaN power conversion. Transphorm says that its innovations and products ramped in the field to date include a variety of ‘first, best, only’ achievements and a future roadmap that position it as a robust GaN device provider capable of supporting EV system requirements. Such achievements include:
- unmatched platform reliability: <0.05FIT with more than >200 billion field operation hours;
- proven 50% higher power density with over 99% efficiency at 20% lower overall system cost;
- 650V SuperGaN devices in use across low- to high-power in-production customer applications today;
- demonstrated 5μs short-circuit capability and 1200V GaN technology in development.
Transphorm says that its benefits for EV applications are being showcased via various reference designs and evaluation kits. These design tools demonstrate the SuperGaN platform’s advantages for power systems used in 2-wheelers, 3-wheelers, electric cars such as onboard/offboard chargers, battery swapping chargers, pole chargers and more. Highlighted demos include:
- 300W EV CC CV CCM PFC+ LLC charger board;
- 750W onboard charger board;
- 2.2kW E-bike fast charger board;
- 2.5kW bridgeless totem-pole PFC board;
- 3kW inverter board;
- 4kW bridgeless totem-pole PFC board.